If you have contacted me about the files, they will be ready for delivery this week. I am working out the last few kinks in the programming. When you receive the email, there will be several files attached. One will be a PDF document with instructions, but I am reproducing it below in case you can’t open that file. The other files will the program code. The file your child worked on is titled MoonTAG_Complete.py.
To run the program, complete the following steps:
- Visit http://www.vpython.org/contents/download_windows.html and download the following files: Python-2.6.2.msi and VPython-Win-Py2.6-5.11.exe to your hard drive.
- Double click on the file python-2.6.2.msi to install the Python interpreter. This file must be installed first.
- Double click on the file VPython-Win-Py2.6-5.11.exe to install the Visual libraries (required to run the animation).
- Create a folder on your desktop called MoonTAG. Copy the python files into that folder. There are six files: MoonTAG_Complete.py, Planet.py, SpaceShip.py, System.py, TimePiece.py, WindowEnvironment.py.
- Find the desktop icon VIDLE for Python 2.6 and double click to open it.
- In VIDLE, click on the “File . . . Open,” then navigate to the MoonTAG folder. Open the file MoonTAG_Complete.py. You will see the computer code for the program in the window.
- On the top menu bar, select “Run . . . Run Module,” or you can hit the F5 key. This will execute the program. (The first time you run the program, it will take a few minutes to run.)
Your child’s web page can be viewed at this address:
Replace ## with your child’s two-digit number. (Written down during class.) To log in and edit the page, use the following log in information:
- Username: MoonTAG0##
- Password: moontag0##
Both are case-sensitive. Replace ## with your child’s two-digit number.
Please contact me with any questions. I can provide any amount of help with the Python program. For help with the web page, you should contact Webs.com technical support.
My email address is dunningrb [at] longwood [dot] edu.